It’s 8.28pm on a Friday night. I’m frozen to the bones after watching a great grand final of cricket for my son’s under 12 team (which they unfortunately lost), in the very chilly weather. The kids are all in bed, the husband is watching the footy and I’m going to punch this blog post out fast and furious in order to go and park myself in front of the television, to watch some undoubtedly shady episode of crap.
So here goes…….. Three small (in size, not time) projects that have a relatively large impact!
First cab off the rank is this gorgeous paper pieced dresden, designed by Quilt Jane. Jane put out a call for testers last week and I jumped at the chance! I love me a dresden, and love me some paper piecing – perfect! I second guessed my fabric selection for this block – choosing some of the Botanics prints – but I like how it turned out. I was going to make it in to a cushion but just couldn’t make a decision, so have left it to the side for now. This fabulous pattern is now available HERE in Jane’s little e-store. It’s a definite must have.
Next up is this awesome paper pieced stationery block. Jane is the queen in our Wombat Stew paper piecing bee this month – and she wrangled Kristy in to whipping up this delightful block for us all to replicate in one colour scheme each. I love how it has turned out and look forward to seeing all the various coloured blocks as they come together. By the way – it IS meant to be a square block – I’m still yet to add the strip of white fabric to the right hand side! Doh!
And last but certainly not least – today’s project was this beautiful linen zippered pouch. This is what happens when you realise you need a birthday present two days out from said birthday. It is the first time I’ve ever worked with linen (it’s actually a cotton/linen blend you can buy HERE if you’re quick!) and I’m in love! The lining is a divine yellow feather print from the Flora range. I also pulled out the teal and yellow Sphere charms I left out of the Baby Blue quilt, and made a teeny little 4.5″ star for one side……
And a row of 1″ squares for the other. It’s also a first time covering the ends of a zipper. This zip was the perfect colour to coordinate with the linen, but was a bit too small – so I literally winged it and whacked some of the teal on to the ends and sewed over it, then went on my usual pouch making way and hoped for the best. Best happened! I kept to very minimal quilting, with just a couple of echoed rows of stitching around both the star and the rows of squares. I used Aurifil 50wt #2000 – the most gorgeous creamy gold colour, which co-ordinates beautifully with this fabric! One of my gorgeous friends saw this on IG and SMS’d me to ask for a tutorial – so I shall try and get to that next week!
In the meantime – I have television to watch! Ni-night!
I’m linking up – You can too!